Sunday, July 02, 2006

Swaddle. Wrap. Cozy. Man I had forgotten all about these techniques! Whe I was pregnant I read The Happiest Baby on the Block and was convinced that I would follow the 5 S's with the girls. It made so much sense. Then they got here and I forgot all about them except to "Shush" at them.

So, last night Chaya and Shira were crying and Batya was calmly asleep. I couldn't get them to stop unless I was holding them and they are so squirmy, I didn't feel comfortable holding both when walking around. Then I decided to give it a try. I slipped them into their Cozy Cocoons and they both went right to sleep. And slept for almost 5 hours!

This morning Shira was crying and fussy and disturbing Chaya (Batya was again blissfully away in dremland-smiles and all!) so I pulled out the Snuggle You wrap and off she went. She is now going onto 4 1/2 hours of sleep.

That got me thinking. In the NICU they were almost always swaddled and were sleeping for 4 hour stretches. Then they got home and weren't swaddled and started going 2-3 hour sleep stretches. Granted, they are older and should have more awake time, but this was even at night. So tonight after their late PM feeding, I'll swaddle them up and see if Ron and I can get a 4 hour sleep going. That would mean he and I would get 3 hours after feeding them. I'll let you know how that goes.