Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hanukkah Project #3


Today we are out shopping most of the morning and then I have some cooking in preparation for Shabbat and Hanukkah to do so I'm not sure how much time I will have for crafty things with the girls. I'm a bit sad about it because we have gotten into a nice routine of breakfast-Montessori activity-lunch-movie-craft-dinner with a lot of playing and snacking in between. But life does happen and any routine has to be flexible so that we can stock up on food and pick up our next-to-last CSA box (boo!).

In anticipation of no craft yet wanting to continue on my craft-a-day theme for the Hanukkah countdown I spent some time with wrapping paper and books. I haven't gotten all of the books I've ordered, so there are only 5, but it is a good start.

I've noticed that a few mommy blogs I read have advent traditions with a new book each night of December. I like that idea and incororated it into our own celebration. There are eight books (one for each night of Hanukkah, duh) that I wrapped in bought (gasp!) paper and stenciled alef-yud on the front. Each night one family member will open the book and we can read it.

I'm also considering doing this for Pesah from Rosh Chodesh Nissan and for Rosh HaShanah through the month of Elul since those yamim tovim have more of a sense of anticipation and preparation which the original advent idea is meant to express.