Thursday, June 19, 2008

Call a radio talk show. Check!

(From my 101/1001 list.)

As I was driving to the store, I was listening to Patt Morrison and they were talking about turning off the computers, Blackberries, iPhones, etc. for a day as a break. Basically disconnecting.

My first thought was, "That's a cool idea! I should challenge some online friends!" Oh the irony.

I went shopping, got back intot he car and they had just started talking about unplugging when I had a duh moment. I already do disconnect once a week.

Shabbat.

So I decide to call. I talk to the screener and he puts me on hold. I'm parked on the side of the street listening to the radio over my phone. I'm rehearsing what I'm going to say. I'm getting giddy.

Then Debi on the 405 gets on the phone. She isn't observant, but doesn't check her email on Shabbat.

No fair! She stole my comment!

So I'm going over another way to say it. And a Rabbi also on the 405 gets on the phone.

He stole my comment too!

Now I have nothing to say. So I thank the screener when he gets back on the phone to tell me that the other two callers pretty much covered it.

I will say that I was a bit pissy about Patt's description of disconnecting because of Shabbat as being easier because you put the responsibility for your actions onto something else. (Yes, I'm paraphrasing.) Anyone who has ever observed a Shabbat knows that while you keep Shabbat because of the commandment, the keeping of it is a human endeavor.

HaShem isn't going to keep my hand from picking up a ringing phone. My promise to HaShem is.