Thursday, June 19, 2008

Letters to my Girls

Dearest Chaya,
I love you more that you can ever know and I am so happy that you love me and want to be with me more than anyone else. I get great joy carrying you, wearing you, snuggling with you and kissing you.

But please stop whining. My ears are going to bleed one of these days.


And go to bed. Just sleep. Just once. One night is all I ask. When I say it is bedtime, curl in my lad and drink your milk and go to sleep. Don't act like you are going to and then fight and screech until Aba takes you. And don't wail, "Mah-ee!" the whole time he is getting you settled. You had your chance to sleep with me. I can't have you running around at midnight.


My Darling Shira,

You are so full of life it is amazing. I love watching you explore and realize the fun time you can have doing things. I love it when you get so excited about something you can hardly breathe because you are too busy shouting, "Mommy! Mommy!" I even love your little bossy streak.

But "share" doesn't mean "This belongs to Shira now." You can't decide that Batya should "share" her doll or that Chaya should "share" her crayons and then pull hair and bite when they resist. Yes, honey, I know you are a biter.

And if you hit me with that bubble wand one more time I am going to throw all of them in the trash. Bubble wands are for fun, not bruising my knee and then smiling like an angel.


My dear baby Batya,
You are the light of my life. I am so blessed to be your ima. I am so very proud of you and thankful for all your help around the house. You truly are the little mommy of the bunch. And I am overjoyed that you want to potty learn and will do everything I can to help you achieve that goal.

However, telling me you have to poop, running to the potty, taking your diaper off and sitting on the potty for a moment does not constitute "going potty." I know you don't like your diapers any more and prefer to be naked, but you need to start using the potty if you are going to be running around bottom-less.

And I think it goes without saying (but I will say it just in case) that getting off the potty, moving a couple feet and pooping on my floor does not constitute "going potty" either.

All signed, with the deepest love,
Your very tired and frustrated Ima.