Wednesday, June 11, 2008

While not a WAHM, I thought I'd talk about something in a similar vein today. CSAs. Community Supported Agriculture. AKA a box of goodies you pick up every week or (as in our case) every other week. Think the yumminess of going to the farmer's market plus the surprise of a gift without the hassle of going to the farmer's market or having a holiday.

I found ours through www.localharvest.org. We have a half share (every other week) and I knew it was a winner the first time I picked up the box. By the time we got home, half the tangerines were gone and a quarter of the strawberries were gone. By the weekend I only had a bunch of tatsoi and a few sprigs of oregano left. Future weeks have followed the same pattern. (Our farm is Tierra Miguel in Pauma Valley.)

I'm pretty sure when the next sign-up rolls around I'll be getting a full share. It is also highly likely that next summer we'll be getting a double share. The stuff in the box is wonderful and flies out of my kitchen more quickly than i ever imagined. And reading this week's newsletter (corn is coming!) I'm tempted to up my subscription right now.

Included in this week's box is a pint of strawberries, a pint of blueberries, a huge bag of tatsoi, grapefruits, lemons, parsley, cilatro, turnips, beets, radishes, chard and arugula.

And did I mention that it is all organic? My Sunday trip to the market had organic blueberries at over $8.00 a basket. Strawberries were around $5.00.

Looking at the box I can pretty much assure you that it will all be gone by Sunday. Berries out-of-hand. Potatoes will be thinly sliced and tossed with some olive oil and rosemary. Chard will be cooked up like Ron's grandmother (zt"l) used to make. Cilantro, parsley, radishes and lemons are normal accents in this household. Not sure how I want to use the arugula as Ron isn't a huge fan. Perhaps a nice citrus salad with that last avocado in my pantry?

And the tatsoi? Well, I had never used it before and have just been making salads with it, but this week's newsletter features three recipes including Spicy Sesame Chicken-Tatsoi Salad. That sounds like a Father's Day lunch to me!