Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Morning Meme


1. What did you do over the weekend? (Saturday and Sunday - be specific, please. Remember, this is a journal about your life, so, tell us about your life. *smile*)

Friday night we had a family-only Shabbat dinner. It went pretty well considering I was sick and the girls were getting over being sick. We had roast chicken which was a HUGE hit with the girls, baked potatoes, a yummy summer squash from the CSA box and the salmon was very good. (I coated it with honey and mustard and baked it.) All the salads and baked goods were store-bought. Shira spent the evening singing in front of the oven and the girls were, all in all, in a great mood. We went to bed fairly early and everyone slept well.

Saturday we had lunch at home. The girls were really sad when I told Iris Ohr that we were sick. Aba says she was sad, too. I caught Shira staring out the window at one point and when asked why she told me she was looking for Iris Ohr and May Tal because they were going to come and play with her. I felt like a meanie. But we can't just pass our cold around, can we?

The hamin got burned. Boo. Hiss. The girls were fussy at lunch because they were tired but they wouldn't nap. Finally, around 2:00 all of us got some sleep. I was able to do a lot of reading in the afternoon and it wasn't too hard with the girls. They are definitly used to going out on Shabbat, though! After havdalah, Aba let the girls watch Caillou and then he watched a soccer match. Then it was bed time for all of us females. Aba stayed up late, though.

Sunday morning I was getting the girls food when the phone rang. Aba picked it up upstairs so I figured it was the callback from his voicemail since we weren't expecting any calls. Turns out it was Grandpa saying he was coming up for a visit! We waited to tell the girls, but they were so excited when they found out. When the doorbell rang they started shouting, "Grandpa! Grandma 'Raine! Bernie!" and didn't seem fazed that it was Grandpa and Hazel.

Poor Hazel, though. Chaya was squealing and chasing her with Elmo and throwing My Little Ponies at her. Shira was getting close to her and when Hazel would look at her, Shira would screech and run away. Batya was trying to be nice and give her all sorts of toys, but was just freaking the poor dog out. That was just in the entry, too. When we got to the living room, Chaya kept running to the patio door and shouting, "C'mon outside and play, Hazel!"

Aba went to pick up lunch at the deli and the girls and I went for a walk around the block with Grandpa and Hazel. The girls walked almost the entire thing just holding Grandpa's and each other's hands while I pushed an empty stroller. I did get some cute pics of the five of them walking down the street. I felt bad when we were almost home and Shira got excited because she was going to find Grandma Lorraine and Bernie. Finally I had to promise that we would go to San Diego and the zoo with Grandma Lorraine soon. So I have to call her and set up a date!

Shira did manage to talk to Grandma Lorraine twice, though. Once, Grandpa caller her on his cell phone and Shira talked to her. The other time she called Grandpa and he let Shira answer. It was cute.

Finally it was time for him to go home. The girls were sad, but I distracted them with Caillou. Bad, I know. I tidied the kitchen and put the leftovers in the oven to warm up and Aba went to rest. While he was alseep, Shira peed and pooped in her potty. When he woke up, I ran to the market for milk and also picked up some lollipops as a treat for my potty girl.

After dinner we did baths and then got into our PJs. I had them just about asleep when Aba came home so he helped finish bedtime then we watched Bill Mahr. After that, I caught up on my blog reading and watched last week's Bones while I tidied the kitchen. Then it was bedtime.

2. Which are scarier to you: ghosts or aliens? Why? Do you believe in either/both? Why or why not?

I'm not sure about aliens. I know that there is a lot of space and it is odd that we would be all there is, but I'm still not sure. Ghosts, though, I definitly believe in. Well, ghosts/angels/spirits I do. Even more so since I had the girls. I have a picture of something around Shira when she was playing with a lamp she unplugged. (I caught her after unplugging it so grabbed the camera to take a picture of "the troublemaker" and there is something there and nothing it can be reflected from.) I've also had experiences where the girls act like someone is in a room where there is no one else. This was when they were a few months old so I don't believe it was just their imagination.

Once, I was trying to get C asleep and it was jsut the two of us in the room. She was staring at a corner and smiling and giggling. I moved her so that she couldn't see it and she struggled to look. Finally I told her it was bedtime and to say goodnight that she could play int he morning and we waved. She went right to sleep as though someone had left.

I'm sure soome would say that this was just a biological thing and her mind was jsut running through all of the stuff it learned, but they won't convince me.

3. I can’t live without my _________. Now, please tell us why you can’t live without it.

Right now? My Keurig. Why I waited so long I'll never know. My Senseo was never this good. I got it Friday afternoon, made a cup for my dad, a cup for Aba and 9 cups for me. Wow. That doesn't sound like a lot, but I didn't use the machine on Shabbat. So that was pretty much Friday afternoon and Sunday.

I'll be giving a review of my machine soon. I'm still plowing through the sample box of K-cups to come up with favorites.

4. What is the cheesiest movie you ever saw, and secretly enjoyed? Why did you enjoy it so much?

The only one that comes to mind is The Fifth Element. I'm sure there are others, but I really liked it and it is just total escapism. Really odd, too, since I usually can't stand Bruce Willis. I'm pretty sure the reason it is stuck in my head right now is that I read something about it on a blog recently. Though I couldn't tell you which one or what. LOL I just remember someone mentioning Willis and an orange tank top.