Wednesday, November 26, 2008

BPA in My Tomatoes? Ugh.

I was catching up on my magazine reading and came across this interesting tidbit in Prevention. Apparently the inside of cans are coated in Bisphenol-A (BPA) and acidic foods leach the BPA out of the coating more than non-acidic foods. As someone who loves to use tomato paste and canned chopped tomatoes in her cooking, this shocked me and worries me.

I have worked hard to get rid of most things that have BPA in them for the girls. I switched them from Avent bottles to glass Momo bottles. I got rid of most of our plastic sippies and stocked up on Klean Kanteens and Siggs. I got rid of the plastic flatware we had and got some Oneida and Ikea flatware. After learning about this, I've cut pack considerably on my canned tomato usage, but I still like the convienence of the cans.

Then I was cruising Whole Foods and came across This brand of tomatoes in a box. I need to research the BPA situation with these and with the plastic containers I get from the kosher market. But I have a bit for those last-minute "Ah! I'm out of tomatoes!" moments.



For more information on BPA in children's products, check out Z Recs and The Soft Landing.