Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Expectation of Privacy?

While we were at Metsada today, I was getting Chaya up into the Storchenweige. Not a huge deal until I noticed a guy taking a picture of something and I seemed to be moving into his line of sight. I tend to bounce and shift as I get the girl settled into a carrier and I know how annoying it is to try to take a picture and someone gets in the way. So I moved.

Well, apparently I was the subject of this guy's picture. He seemed a bit put out when I expressed my displeasure at this idea. If the story ended there it would have just been an odd bit of the story of our day, but it doesn't. When I asked Aba why he didn't say something to the photographer since he figured it out before I did, he said that there was nothing he could do since we were in public. I'm really confused at how this matters since I am the subject and I don't want my or my child's photo taken by this stranger.

I've gone out of my way to prevent strangers from taking photos of my children and as they become more interested in photographs I am teaching them that they have to ask someone permission before taking their picture.

This brings to mind something that my friend Ayelet mentioned about living in The Old City. When we were talking about it she said that she has a friend who lives there and the friend told her that sometimes when she is taking her trash out at night tourists take her picture. I can't be the only person who sees something wrong with that...can I?

Am I really that "out there" in my feelings on this? Is simply existing in a public space reason for my privacy to be invaded?