Friday, May 08, 2009

One Thing Leads to Another

It amazes me how easy it is to slip back into old habits. A while back I mentioned that we were going to experiment with a traditional food diet during sefriah ha'omer. We haven't been very strict on it, but from just the bits that we've done I've been feeling so much better. I've also been off soda since the middle of Pesah other than Shabbat and was feeling wonderful with no cravings. Then it all fell apart.

I'm not really sure what happened. No. That's a bit of a lie. I know what happened. I shouldn't have bought the ice cream. It was hot out and the girls had been good about shopping and hadn't been whining lately for ice cream and neither had Aba. I felt comfortable in my new choices and figured I would treat them. Instead I sabotaged myself.

Due to poor planning on my part, we had skipped snack so I gave the girls and Aba dessert while I cooked dinner. I was so proud of myself for only having a couple spoonfuls. Then I had more that night. Then I had some the next afternoon. Then I we had pizza for dinner. Then I had a soda. Then I bought a bottle of soda (though I haven't opened it). Then I had left-over pizza. Then there were two more sodas. 

So here I sit three days later. My congestion is back, I'm dehydrated, my feet are swollen from all of the extra salt, I've got a mini-migraine forming, I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm just having that overall blah feeling. Which was the teason I wanted to try something new.

The moral of the lesson? Diet is definitely part of what's been hapenning with me lately. If it is in the house it needs to be something that fits in with our diet. I need to plan better; days out need to have crock-pot dinners planned.

Shabbat is here and we are invited out for dinner so I don't have as smuch control there, but we have lunch at home and I've been making it more TF. Hopefully my body won't take too long to get back. We have a full week ahead of us.