Sunday, January 03, 2010

This I Know

I know that the world is round. I know the sky is blue and the ocean is deep. I know that the lion will hunt the gazelle and that somewhere there is a person doing something incredibly stupid and another shaking their head in disbelief.

I know I should be in bed right now and I'll regret staying up to write come morning.

These things I know with such certainty that, if I could find someone to take it, I would bet a hefty sum and walk away a wealthy woman.

What I know is a lot and what I don't know is even more. Even greater? The things I'm just not too sure of.

There are so many things that pop up in life that I'm not sure about. These seem to multiply by the day. The latest is toying with the idea of going TV-free. While I'm not against the idea of television and love to curl up on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn and my family to watch a movie, the TV seems to become an all-consuming aspect of the day. It gets turned on after breakfast for Curious George and before I know it a couple hours have passed.

For the most part the TV is just on as background noise as they go about their day. I still don't like it.

Aba is against this mainly because his soccer isn't available online. He feels we should simply not turn on the TV. It seems simple enough, but when the box is there, it is just so tempting and easy. Need a chunk of time when they won't bother me? click

Perhaps the best way to address this is to stop focusing on the TV as the problem and start addressing the way I use the TV.