Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Its Only Eight Days, People.

I never understand what the huge deal with Pesah is. Its eight days where you don't eat bread. For Ashkenazim and Sephardim like us (Moroccan) you also don't eat rice and beans. Yes, that cuts a lot of items out, but it isn't like we are starving for a week. Yet all you hear is how people need their chametz fix now.

"Get your bread while you can!"

We won't even mention what the stores and restaurant look like the day after Pesah. Its like people haven't eaten in a month.

Last night I went to a shiur and I was the only person there who doesn't eat kitniyot. Listening to everyone talk you would have thought I was eating boiled chicken, boiled potatoes and oranges for the week. We actually eat pretty darn well during the chag. So well, in fact, that we try to eat like Pesah all year round. No take out, very little refined foods, a lot of vegetables and fruit, healthy fats and yummy proteins.

In fact, the only thing I miss at Pesah is my oatmeal. I love waking up to oatmeal and dried fruit thats been cooking overnight in the crockpot. The house smells divine and it fills you up all day long.

7 days to go...