Monday, June 16, 2008

Flutter, flutter, flap, flap, flap

Ahhh, I'm back. It has been so long, but I am back to flying. Well, I guess I'm still in the fluttering stage. But it feels wonderful and I can't wait to soar again!

no clue what I'm talking about? www.flylady.net

Some hate it, others love it. I fall into the latter category and love the freedom Flylady gives me. Now, before anyone starts wondering, let me clarify that I am not a hard-core flybaby. I don't wear shoes in the house all the time. My kids are often not dressed and I've been known to hang out in PJs late into the day. I'm also not on the Flylady email list because it gets overwhelming with all the emails.

What I do love is the routine. I have a set order in which things are done throughout the day. The girls and I have a set wake-up time, lunch time and dinner time. The rest is a fluid movement from point A to B to C.

I also love cutting huge tasks into small, manageable chunks of time. Cleaning out the garage overwhelming? Then each day go out and clean for 15 minutes. If you have the time and motivation, add another 15. As soon as you start feeling the burnout coming, clean up and return the next day.

Then there are the set times for household chores. Laundry? Monday and Thursday. Fridge? Monday day night. Girls' toys? Sunday night after they go to bed. Outside? Tuesday nights. And every night I walk through the living areas and just grab the stuff that doesn't belong in those rooms.

I don't clean everything. I don't spend hours obsessing over sofa cushions or Barbies. I just look in the living room and grab the shoes, cup and magazine. I move the mail from the buffet to where it belongs. It helps prevent that moment when you stand in the doorway and wish you could just move. Pack what you want to keep and leave the rest without care for your security deposit.

And now, my children have decided it is yogurt time and Shira is threatening to turn off the computer. So I suppose this marks the end of blog time and the beginning of dessert. Followed by quiet time and bed for the girls. Then, seeing as how it is Monday, I have a load of laundry and the fridge to tackle. Then it is knitting while Aba and I watch a Harry Potter (his pick) or Masterpiece Theater (my pick).

Good night and happy Monday all! (I'll be working on photographing some knitting and scanning some scrapbooking pages tomorrow.)