Monday, June 30, 2008

Muffin Tin Madness

I was fascinated when I first read the idea of a toddler snack tray in Dr. Sears' The Baby Book. The idea is to use an ice cube as an always available snack option. You put a little bit of this and that in each of the different compartments.

Now, I don't know about you, but my ice cube trays seem awfully tiny. One grape tomato fills a compartment. So, I never actually did it, but I always loved the idea.

Fast forward to a week ago and I ran across this post on Chasing Cheerios. What a great idea! I ended up getting silicon pans because I could only find mini-muffin tins or 12-cups in metal. (Of course, after I bought and washed the silicone tins, I saw this post using a 12-cup tin. Oh well.) We've used them a couple times as snack trays, but mostly we use them as lunch. The girls love it. After they finish eating, I usually combine the leftovers into one tin and add a bit more and leave it out on their table.


We still have a couple instances of tin dumping, but it is getting better and I'm having fun filling up the little cups with interesting combinations.

Here are the final trays. Carrot ribbons, cereal mix, grape tomatoes, yellow beets, Israeli salad and salami.