Monday, August 25, 2008

A Bookish Day

My mailbox has been overflowing with books lately. Likely, this will take a couple months to get through, but I'm excited about them.


The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers by Amy Hollingsworth Yes, I got this one as a CD. I was hoping to get it on iTunes or Audible, but it wasn't available (maybe abriged, I can't remember) so I got the CDs. I'll load it onto my iPod and listen to it while knitting and walking. I'm hoping it isn't too preachy (he was a Presbyterian minister after all) but the other things I've read about him and listened to about him give me hope.

The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember by Fred Rogers This little book is more like an inspirational journal. Each page has just a sentence or two on different subjects. I've read a few pages and always find Mister Rogers inspirational. I absolutely adored him as a child and recently read an article about him and the love grew. I've started introducing the girls to him and today Shira told me, "I like Mista Ojas," as we sat watching it together.

Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock A thin volume that looks like it has some cute ideas for 2 1/2 to 5 years old. It also has a section for making a lot of the materials. This was one of the books Stephanie from Montessori Free Fall recommended in the final post of her recent series on choosing Montessori Materials.

Basic Montessori: Learning Activities for Under-Fives by David Gettman
Also recommended at Montessori Free Fall. Seems to be a bit more in-depth than the other one. I've only flipped through both of them.

Choosing Simplicity: Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World and Simplicity Lessons: A 12-Step Guide to Living Simply both by Linda Breen Pierce I think I'll read the 12-Step one first simply because I can read a section at a time. I'd love to find an IRL study group for this one.

What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception by Scott McClellan This was my KPCC book club book. To be honest, I wouldn't have picked it for myself and it will likely be at the bottom of the stack. But since it was part of my membership I feel like it was free so it isn't a loss that it sits for a while.

Weight Watchers Best Eats (No link because you can only buy them at meetings or used.) The newest cookbook with classic recipes. The great thing is that with most recipes when I "kosherfy" them, they become Core. Just flipping through I know I can fill up most of September's menus with this book. A good $9.95 and the center said that if we don't like it, we can return it at the next meeting. How can you beat that?

Bread and Fire: Jewish Women Find G-d in the Everyday edited by Rivkah Slonim I've been looking for something to help me get my spark back for Elul. So I'll be reading this and working through Tehillim. I'm hoping to find a women's study group for the coming year.

One Baby Step at a Time: Seven Secrets of Jewish Motherhood by Chana Weisberg This arrived last Friday and I read the introduction and first chapter on Shabbat. It is definitly one of those books to read a couple times because it won't all sink in the first time.